If you haven't already noticed, we only use sustainable palm oil in our soap bars. The reason being is that it is produced by palm oil plantations, which have been independently audited and found to comply with globally agreed environmental standards devised by the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO). These stringent sustainability criteria relate to social, environmental and economic good practice.
By respecting those criteria, we can help to reduce the negative impacts of palm oil cultivation on the environment and communities. In some regions, palm oil cultivation has caused and continues to cause deforestation. This means that land, which was once predominantly covered by primary forest (forest that has never been touched by man) or which housed protected species and biodiversity, was cleared in order to be converted into palm oil plantations.
Likewise, some palm oil plantations were developed without consulting local communities over the use of their land. Some have even been responsible for forcibly displacing people from their land. Violations of workers’ rights to fair payment and safe working conditions and other malpractices have also occurred.
Palm oil is used in many of the products on supermarket shelves, from margarine and chocolate to ice cream, soaps, cosmetics, and fuel for cars and power plants. The reason why palm oil is so popular is because:
- It has great cooking properties and maintains its properties under high temperatures
- Its smooth and creamy texture and absence of smell make it a perfect ingredient in many recipes, including baked goods
- It has a natural preservative effect, which extends the shelf life of food products
- It is also the highest-yielding vegetable oil crop, which makes it very efficient. It needs less than half the land required by other crops to produce the same amount of oil. This makes palm oil the least expensive vegetable oil in the world.
- In soap-making industry, Palm Oil provides riches lather and it adds hardness to the bar.
Arguably, one of the most beneficial of its many positive attributes is that sustainable palm oil contains the most abundant amount of vitamins A and E of any plant-based oil, which means it is wonderfully good for the skin.
Vitamin A is one of the most widely acknowledged nutrients for healthy skin. It is an effective treatment for severe acne and psoriasis. As it promotes cell turnover in the skin, vitamin A is effective in preventing the formation of comedones that cause the most common forms of acne.
Vitamin E has been used in skincare for so long and, the truth is, it’s a highly beneficial ingredient for the skin, especially when it’s combined with other antioxidants. This helps skincare products form a "first-string defense" against free radicals and other environmental damaging effects.
Feel free to look through our beautiful and natural handmade soaps!